30 December 2005

Farewell Henry Wood Hall

Hello Henry Wood Hall. It was my first time here. I'd talk about the hall but I'm just going to do what I suggested and link to Ducasi's post. So:



Although it has its faults, it’s such a great place. It’s big and roomy, with a rather good floor, (if you excuse the fact it slopes and has a hole in the middle of it!)

Ducasi



OK. That's just silly. The hall was large and there was a good deal of space on the dance floor. The tables are laid out around the floor giving it a good social atmosphere.



I missed the fun class; a shame because I love Franck's teaching style and generally seem to end up adopting a lot of the moves he teaches. I did get to participate in a circle for a birthday dance (not Ducasi's) and got a dance with the lady in question though I didn't dance for many beats before being self conscious about dancing and handed her over to the next guy.



I felt a bit ill (I think I'm coming down with something I hope I didn't infect anyone) which played havoc on my concentration especially at the beginning of the night. It also ate into my energy so I took a lot of breaks and hid outside. However I still had a lot of dances (it went on 'til 3am). Thought some of the dances I had were just wonderful; in many cases it was with people women that are my favorite dancers but it's great when dances just work and I felt there were a few that really did (hope that my partner agreed though :p). There were a few beginners there of a really high standard; in particularly there was one that had only been coming five or so weeks and she was following like someone who had been dancing a year; I didn't even think about suitability of more intermediate moves I threw them in and she followed them. I didn't get to dance with everyone I wanted to and felt I probably could have done a bit better at asking people I didn't know.



I think I gave the women (or at least those that wanted it) a bit more space to play and really enjoyed the feeling of a better connection and interaction that I got. However saying that one women did ask me when it would be her turn to wiggle :o.



The music selection was good. I missed a few (for a variety of reasons) that I would have liked to dance to and danced to a few that I don't like dancing to. Yes I know that everyone except me loves Now That I Can Dance; it doesn't stop me hating it though. Tiggerbabe, in particular, did it for me mainly because she provided some really wonderful dances as well as a great set. Though it got confusing as to who was playing what at the end as I think the DJs just started picking for each other's lists.



By the end of the night I really was exhausted and I'm glad it ended when it did rather than at 6am. I didn't do any double trouble for the whole night (despite my girls being there) until the last song where everyone was on the floor except two women so I asked them both to dance. It was going well (I think it was their first time at double trouble) but then we noticed a guy sitting out so one of the girls rushed to his rescue. I think everyone got the last dance.



Like Ducasi mentioned there were just the dedicated forumites there at the very end. We headed of for some food but, for some reason, ended up in two different places. We went to a noodle bar and then went home. It did mean I didn't get to say goodbye to a few people (because I assumed I'd see them again) but I was glad we left when we did as I collapsed when I got home.



Tags:

No comments: