20 December 2005

Following on a Tuesday

Tonight was a good night for the Christmas theme (even down to the teacher's Christmas Bauble earrings) and despite attending two other Christmas themed events this was the first one that really struck home. Perhaps it was because it was my regular venue compared to party nights (which are different anyway).



During the intermediate class the men followed for two of the three moves (there was extra men! maybe it is a follower thing :D). Following was tricky as they were intermediate moves and quite a few women had no experience of leading (and didn't actually lead the move... at all). Not like I was a confident follower mind though I didn't anticipate which did mean I spent a while standing around. After class I had another few goes at following: half of a dance following with the teacher, another song with a friend and one of my favourite dancers and, a dance with a guy who was described as having a unique style (I thought I'd get a dance with him to see what all the fuss was about; and he does have a really interesting dance style).



I was also just generally in a silly move and emphasised some of my hand work and such. I had a good time though I'm not sure all the followers I danced with agreed with my silly pauses and such. I had a couple of much more serious dances as well; they were enjoyable.



I also got a tip for following (keeping my arms closer) and a complement on my wiggle and spinning. Another person who was watching me dance said he liked the way I wrap one foot around the other leg. Yeay!





I did the intermediate moves I followed as leads so I think I got them ok.




  • Almost Pretzel Turn - Almost Pretzel. As the woman comes past take her hand up to turn her and swap from left to right hand turning her again. No return.

  • Swizzletop

  • Sway into Back Lean - Sway start with the back and forward. Take the woman in front of you as if you were the follower in a Catapult then let go with right and loop in under the woman's left arm as you turn back to back and do the same loop with the left to her right. Lean forwards allowing her to lean back behind you. Let go with left and spin with right.





Tags:

No comments: