10 December 2005

Red Hot and Blue

I went to a new dance event, Red Hot and Blue, which was bluesy dancing and made an interesting change. The venue was quite small and got a bit warm (though the DJ said he'll bring another fan next time). The floor was also a little tricky to spin on but then it's bluesy dancing so I really shouldn't be spinning as much as I did.



There were a lot of really good dancers there. I'd say there were only a handful who, like me, had a limited experience in blues dancing. I found some tracks trickier than other and sometimes I was moving a little fast for the music (one of my friends mentioned this to me). I pretty much stayed on for two dances with everyone I danced with just to get used to my partner as well as the music. I found this worked quite well and it is a shame in Ceroc classes that we feel so guilty about staying on for a second dance. The atmosphere was very friendly; I did know a lot of the dancers there so that helped I expect. The music was a good mix, quite a bit of which I didn't recognise, and though I found it challenging to dance to I had a lot of fun trying.



My lack of practice with blues moves and some of the difficulty I seemed to be having getting in the zone didn't help but I think I did alright and certain had a few dances where I felt I had a really good connection and the moves were just flowing. I shall try and brush up on my moves that work at slower speeds (including blues moves; I was a big fan of Marc's Cuban Blues workshop at the BFG) for next time which I've very much looking forward to going to :).



Tags:

No comments: