29 September 2005

Thursday Night With Tiggerbabe

I had this saved as a private entry for a while just because I didn't have time to do a proper write up. Taken me a while to get around to actually finishing it.



Like most Thursdays there were far too many women. You might think this a good thing for a guy, I certainly find that never needing to sit out on a dance a good thing, but you find you try and build a list of people you'd like to dance with in class and find you never get around to dancing with half of them. Resulting in you feeling, at the end of the evening, like you haven't danced with most of the women there (probably true). Anyway there isn't really anything that can be done about except for some of the women to go to other nights (or for more men to attend on a Thursday but then I think the dance floor is busy enough).



The music was done by the fab Tiggerbabe tonight. It was a really good set though probably more challenging than what we are used to on a class night (I felt there was more songs with a tempo change and breaks in than we normally get); that certainly wasn't a bad point I enjoyed the challange. A really fab selection of songs but maybe Tiggerbabe should do some more sets in Edinburgh just so we can check it isn't just because she's an infrequent DJ to us (:non-existant whistle thing:). She also came to find me for the last song and we had a really good dance together. I'm always really flattered when anyone asks me to dance but when such an incredable dancer does I'm also surprised as well.





I doubt I would have remembered the Beginner's move by this stage if it hadn't been for the fact that a followed a woman (in freestyle) who was trying lead for the first time in class. The moves were Yo-Yo, Slo Comb, Basket and, Man Spin.




  • The same move as the first move I did on the 25th of August (which I never named back then either). It is worth metioning after turning the woman both her hands should be at waist level and you should take a count before moving into the steps.

  • We did the Accordian Seat like I did back on the 9th of August. As a note they taught a much stronger dimond shaped frame the the Accordian that I might have missed last time. Also take both the woman's hands above her head when her back is turned to you. It also had a varient ending where after you sit when you've taken your left hand to her right hand side transfer her left to your right. As you stand up begin turning to the left to move around the woman and change direction. Twirl her a one and a half times then put her into a spin catching left.

  • First Move Tango Walk into Lean. Some nice footwork in this. It is a shame that I'm so bad at footwork. Still it gives a good oppertunity to practice. Start like a first move; push the woman out and change to a ballroom grip with the left (at first I didn't understand why but it is for the lean). Bring the left low so you are facing your partner with your right on her hip and left in the ballroom around waist level (?). Push on the woman's hip and draw in with the left hand; at the same time stepping crossing your right foot behind your left; the weight change you caused the woman should be mirroring this. Guide with the left hand causing both of you to correct the cross step by stepping left with the left foot. Pull in with the right and push out with the left this time causing the woman to step forward (with her left) while cross stepping yourself with right in-front of left. Then step with left to get out of a cross step. Each of the cross-step then correct happens on one count (so each step happening on a beat). Do the same as the first time pushing out but move the right hand to the small of her back while taking the left hand high to dip her slightly in-front of you as you bring the left knee behind her (effectively allowing her to sit on it if she wanted to). Correct then move out like a normal first move. I've sort of forgotten this posture correctly. Footwork sort of still being a bit of a novelty I had a bit of difficulty with the move. I'll see if I can run over it with someone that knows and update my notes :D.





Tags:

No comments: