26 September 2005

I Like to Boogie

Hadn't been to a Monday night for a couple of weeks or so; so I went to tonight's lesson. Had some really good dances; one that I really wished, during it, that it would end and; one that I managed to inflict minor injury on the follower :(. My set of people who I really enjoy dancing with is growing and that's great. There was a beginner who was doing amazingly for her first lesson she was coping with a variety of beginners moves she wasn't taught; a few of the easier intermediate. The dance I wished would end was with a beginner (it was my second dance with her) so I felt a little guilty; I was trying to give her some pointers but I don't think she really cared for them. Ah well it wasn't that bad.



On another note a lack of taxis meant that the beginners were sitting out at the intermediate just watching. There were a couple of off duty taxis there who I felt maybe should have taken it upon themselves to cover. I know that they don't need to but it doesn't seem very committed. I was going to ask if they wanted me to do it but I wouldn't want to try and take a class on my own as a non-taxi who was covering.





Armjive Push Spin, Slo Comb, Step Across and, In-and-Out. The Slo Comb involved using the left hand to wrap around the lady behind her back. I hate this. I much prefer the hand-on-hip variant where you are are saying "stay for a few beats" but if the woman feels uncomfortable then she can just push off and escape (I don't think many women feel uncomfortable with me, I hope anyway, but I like to give them the option). Anyway I mentioned this to the teacher at the end and he agreed with me (maybe just to get me to go away). I hope he didn't think I was being critical of his class as I think he's a really good teacher and I had a really good class. Speaking of which; the non-trappy moves are:




  • Step Across Turn. Step Across as you turn to face the woman keep the hand high so she turns. Return.

  • Turn Messy Arm Thing. Right handed. Offer left at your right hip. When she has taken that hand and come in move the right then the left up and around her head turning her 2½ (?) times before taking your right hand over her head and your left over yours (so you are facing the same direction, hip to hip, with arms over the shoulder). Let go of the right and offer it in between you both at waist level. She takes that as she pivots back. Pivot her forward then begin unwrapping her (clockwise?) with the right while then also doing it with the left further up. Keep turning her until you can put her into the Crucifix. At this stage wait a count then put both your hands on top of each of her elbows walking her (in a cross step) left, right, left before spinning her. Catch right.

  • Back Dip. Offer left over right at your elbow; pivot her out then take her hands bringing her in front of you as your left to her right shoulder; carry on turning her so her back is facing to you as take your right to her left shoulder. She'll have her hands crossed in front of you as you have your hands crossed behind her. Using the arm as a support on her upper back take her into a slight dip. Correct then twirl her using the left hand high; take right again to go into an Accordion. Twirl her so hands are crossed. Walk side to side for a few beats then Hallelujah out.





Tags:

No comments: