26 July 2005

Do I Dance on a Tuesday?

Looks like it. I hope to keep this one short but I had a good night. Still having a bit of trouble keeping reasonable rhythm. I think I concern myself to much with opportunities to try out intermediate moves rather than just sticking to basic moves and keeping a good, flowing, dance going. I'll endeavor to do the latter a bit more in the future. I did attempt to write down some previous dances from a book they have but unfortunately the handwriting was difficult to read (I'm pretty sure no move would have drop kick in the title) and that isn't for this weeks moves anyway.





Started out with Armjive with a Swizzle, Basket, Shoulder Slide and Catapult. The catapult was into a left hand catch rather than a right. The instructor gave some really good hints about making life easier and improving hand grasp which I found very useful.



Intermediate were:




  • Shoulder Drop into Yo-Yo (it might well have been called that. Loved this move; really simple. Start a shoulder drop but rather than return hand when stepping sideways instead move into the locked arm position of a Yo-Yo and proceed with the Yo-Yo from that point. Easy and good fun.

  • Catapult into multi-twirl comb thing. Here we go; this was tricky. Start a catapult but when extending out offer left hand at right side (the woman will be too far to catch it). Pull her back in and catch with right at waist while still holding with left pivot her towards your front while still holding with the left (sort of like a swizzle) and then continue by turning yourself 180 while moving her around as well until you are facing again at the other side (right hand still holding left is not) twirl her anticlockwise and move into comb while moving the left hand up in a sort of windmill braking her comb and put left hand on her shoulder. Move hand down her arm, slowly (for 4 counts in fact) before going back into a left hand hold. There probably was a return.

  • First Move into a Barrier?. Start with a First Move but rather than moving to shoulder move to waist instead then move the woman away from you still holding her right to your left which forms a barrier with her arm (so she can't move forward anymore). Then twirl her clockwise straight into a slight (180) spin before moving in and gripping holding her right hip. She then pivots like a basket (back then forwards, or at least I think) before holding right hand with her own right and rotating 180. Finishing with that right, right hold. We used the return on this to lead straight into the Shoulder Drop.



I'd still like to write more but I shouldn't. Maybe save the fact that I watched some other people dance and I have to say that I'd love to work on my footwork a bit.





Tags:

No comments: