30 August 2005

Double Spin, Double Spin, Double Spin

Just got back from another night dancing. I was feeling a bit ill but I didn't think it was contagious so I went tonight anyway and I was really glad I did. Had a fantastic set of classes and enjoyed so many of my dances. There were some things that I was doing wrong in freestyle and I didn't really branch out in my intermediate moves but I think overall things were good.





Beginners' Class was Yo-Yo, Shoulder Drop, First Move Three Step and, Man Spin. As there were no actual beginners we did the First Move Three Step which starts like a First Move then you move your left hand in front doing a little left step bring in right foot and step with left (like a little skip) before twirling the woman straight out of that. The teacher also said you can try a double spin on the Man Spin which (obviously I tried) I did and then repeated to varying degrees of success in freestyle (about 50% of the time I can do it). She even congratulated me in class. I felt all special :).




  • First Move into Swizzle Top. Start with a First Move when you put your hand back on your shoulder push away with it transferring to your right hand so you are at arms length then move your partner in under your arm in a twirl and then move into a Swizzle Top (like a Sway but with right hand firmly on her waist and the left ready for a push spin on her left shoulder). Push spin and catch with left. Return.

  • Neck Break. Raise right hand in the air to indicate the move. Draw her forward with the left raising your left hand to your left shoulder while stepping in side to side. The right is then dropped to her left shoulder (slightly over it) you then twist her around using the left (being brought down to your right side). Let go with the left and put the right firmly on her shoulder. Bring her in towards you slightly before spinning her using her right shoulder. Return.

  • Armjive Swizzle into Some Super Choke Thing. Start with armjive swizzle but as you finish the swizzle rather than take your left hand out put it on her right shoulder (so she has her right hand on her own shoulder. Then you take her left hand (which is in a half nelson) and turn her anticlockwise (?) and extend the hand out a bit like a swizzle. The right hand rests in a strange pseudo comb over the back of her neck while she faces 90° to your left. Then you bring the left hand up, turning her to face away from you, and comb that over her and onto her stomach. Then you do the same with the left hand you have locked behind her neck trying not to break her neck or anything at the same time. Half the time at least it seems to get caught in her hair but the other half you'll get it over and down to her waist as well. You then lift up the right and then the left begin turning her clockwise while letting go with the right and extend the left out to the right after one and a half turns and spinning her.



The last move was tricky and there were only a few women that I could pull it off with.





Tags:

No comments: