08 August 2005

Dancing On A Monday?

My Monday night game being cancelled twisted my arm into going dancing. I took my notes of previous intermediate moves reading up on them and determined to learn a few well. I was also worried about overloading my brain this week with nine new intermediate moves. As chance would have it they were missing a male taxi dancer so I offered to help out as a taxi dancer minion or something. Anyway so that lead me not to do the intermediate but revise the beginners stuff. The beginners moves were Octopus, Man Spin, Catapult and, The Comb. The beginners were all fun to dance with and it all seemed to work out well.



My intermediate moves are still a bit poor I need to lead them better but a few of them worked; a few others I had to abort. All the dancing was excellent fun though and I probably came away with one of my biggest dancing highs. One of my dances, with the taxi dancer, she kept stealing the lead which was really interesting and good fun. So tonight was my first night of dancing as a follower. It's bizarre I'm not sure how women do it all the time. I suppose my poor analogy is a bit like tickling. Now if you try tickling yourself it doesn't make you laugh that's because you are expecting it. Leading is a bit like that you control the dance; the only reason you are spinning, for example, is because you chose to spin. On the other hand following you don't get any real control someone is spinning you around and you can't really anticipate what is coming (maybe you can; but it requires practice I guess). It was also weird seeing moves from the other perspective and only half way through, say, a Basket I'd actually realise I'd just been put into one. At the same time my brain was working away trying to steal the lead back but at the end it was only when she relinquished it that I actually got it back. I'd definitely like to do that again though.



silverhippo and Graham were asking what sort of dancing it was so my poor descriptions weren't obviously very good. Anyway if you do want to know more check out Jiveoholics Anonymous they have some videos and everything. Speaking of which on of the moves I learnt at the party was a Zipper Basic hurray!




Tags:

No comments: