11 October 2005

Not A Great Dancing Evening

Something wasn't quite right last night. I'm not sure if I just wasn't focused or it was the miserable weather (yes; I'm aware it is indoors) but I didn't feel particularly on form. This especially was true during class where I was hopeless with one of the moves which is the first time, in a while, where I've struggled with an intermediate move to the extent that I was prepared to give up on it. This was particularly crippling as I didn't actually think the move was that difficult maybe just to much unnatural feeling movements. I managed to mess up the second move for a while but then I realised I was offering my right hand; doh.



Despite not feeling on form I did have a surprising number of good dances. I was also snatched up by a few women for dances too which always feels good :D. So despite feeling like I was struggling and wasn't dancing at my best I did have a good time. Just hope my partners found it enjoyable too.





  • Armjive into Teapot except try and get the woman's left arm into a half nelson. Then pull with left hand drawing her to your left as you lower this hand and move into a half nelson with left behind her back and right in a half nelson behind yours. You then turn anticlockwise and duck under your arm to come out in front of her taking right hand between you and then high to unwrap her (still with both hand). Lower right step back and return dropping right for a left to right hold.

  • Sidestep Flamenco Walk. Liked this one. Start with a Sidestep then pull the woman past you to your right hand side. Put your left hand on her shoulder and run it down her left arm (as she'll be naturally inclined to take a right to left normally). You end up with a left to left hand hold. Raise your hand and take her into a traveling twirl putting right hand on her waist (her left side) and move right hip to her right hip and walk around with the left hand high (same as a technique done in a catapult a while back). Let go with left but keep walking with right at hip then spin her out of it.

  • I'm not sure why I had so much difficulty with this move but I did; it really consists of two independent parts and the second part (from leading the woman forward with arms crossed) I was ok with and I liked it. Start both hand hold take left hand over right turning clockwise 180° taking your left to your right shoulder. On the next count take your right high and behind you turning the woman anticlockwise and yourself clockwise while transferring your hand from your shoulder to hers. Take the right that you were raise as you turn her away from you (so you are behind her) over her head and to her waist. Then take your left from her shoulder down so she has her hands crossed in front of her. Then raise both hands high turning her (clockwise? or was it a return) resulting in your hands being crossed. Walk her to your right hip then raise hands turning her putting her left hand on her right shoulder and continue to turn to face with her right hand flat. Gently push spin this unraveling her taking her left high and allowing her to quickly twirl under than. Step back and your into a normal left to right.




Tags:

No comments: