08 January 2007

End of 2006

I've become poor at updating this recently. It could be to do with generally being busy or laziness or a bit of both. Anyway the end of year was an interesting one for me. I decided that the music on a Tuesday night just seemed to be getting to me so I gave up Tuesday dancing (though I might still go to the occasional one like tomorrow). That had an interesting effect though. The last weeks of November and early December I found that I had poor Tuesday night dancing and great Thursday night dancing. Strangely when I gave up Tuesday I didn't have as great time on the Thursday. Do I need a poor night of dancing to remind me what a good night of dancing is?

I've finally got rather good at the penguin walk which is a lovely move. Like any kid with a new toy I've been using it in a lot of my dancing recently. Seeing just how fast I can get it or just how many turns we can do. It's great fun and I can't get enough of it.

Enjoyed the last couple of lessons in WCS a great deal. They had a set of really interesting moves and I had a few good freestyle dances which makes it all worth while.

I also went to the Edinburgh Christmas party which turned out to be great fun... I was worried that with Stirling on as well we would have lost a lot of good dancers to that (and we did) but there was still enough dancers I love dancing with there to make it all worth while. I did the cabaret for the last time. It was probably my best go at it with nothing really going wrong for me (like my horns falling off). Anyway it is good to be putting the nuns outfit aside.

They say you should start a year as you mean to go on (I have no idea who "they" are though) so I started it dancing. There was a New Years Ball (I went to one of these last year) which was enjoyable. It was a little busy for me (in terms of space on the dance floor) though when food was made available I suddenly had space to dance again :D. The cabaret there was also really good fun to watch. The guys doing YMCA seemed especially brave. I didn't enjoy wearing a suit to the event it was far too hot and before long I had changed out of it.

I've gone to one freestyle so far this year (I didn't make it for the lesson) which was very busy (I guess people are missing dancing) but also was good fun. I also went to Red Hot and Blue which was fantastic. They've started teaching a short blues lesson there as well which seemed to result in a lot of people turning up early (including us) which was great as it meant the night felt in full swing at nine rather than me turning up at ten or later. Saying that I did briefly pop to Asda half way through the evening to get some stuff; where I discovered that I am getting married, apparently. They might have gotten the wrong Gary though ;). Anyway good stuff, I'm looking forward to the next one though I have to say that the venue that they are moving to (the Route 66 one) is a little remote for my liking but it is a nice venue.

Anyway loving my time dancing and I'm hoping that this year is filled with exciting freestyle, weekenders and learning new things along with meeting some of the lovely and fantastic people that are part of the dance scene.

No comments: